This week in my New Testament class we discussed the Savior’s
suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross at Golgotha. More specifically, we focused on a story that
has always troubled me – the release of Barabbas instead of Jesus. I have never really liked this story because it
makes me sick to think that the people of Jesus’s time would release a
murderer, thief, and insurrectionist instead of the Son of God. This story is found in Matthew 27:15-25. Verse 15 tells us that it was tradition to
release a prisoner at the feast of Passover, and it seems as though Pilate
wanted the people to release Jesus Christ.
The people knew that Barabbas was a murderer, thief, and insurrectionist,
and it seems as though Pilate chose him as the other option because the choice
would be obvious as to who to release. Verse
18 tells us that Pilate “knew that for envy they had delivered [Jesus].” I believe that Pilate was hoping that once
the citizens saw their options of who they could release, that they would realize
what was about to happen and release Jesus.
However, as we know, that is the exact opposite of what happened. When Pilate presented Jesus, the people cried
“Crucify Him!” Barabbas, a perfect representation
of a sinner, was set free. This has
always troubled me, but something that Brother Griffin asked us to ponder on
has changed the way I look at this story.
He asked us to think if we could represent Barabbas. We are all sinners that are released because Jesus
took our place. We don’t deserve to be
released, but Jesus is willing to take our place so that we may be free. Brother Griffin said, “A perfect man, in an
imperfect trial, was condemned so that an imperfect man, in a perfect trial,
may be set free.” Christ was willing to suffer for us and take our rightful place
in the suffering so that He may intercede for us with the Father. That realization has changed the way that I
look at this story, and the way that I look at the Savior’s sacrifice. I love my Savior and all that he has done for
me.
No comments:
Post a Comment